How to make delicious black and white cookies
The black and white cookie is a wonderful combination of chocolate and vanilla flavoring that’s been specially iced to give it a split appearance to make it particularly unique. Taking one look at this cookie might make you think that it would be difficult to create, but don’t be intimidated. It’s actually a lot easier than it looks.
The glaze for these cookies should be creamy and thick, and the cookies themselves should be cakey and soft. The cookie flavor should be like vanilla cake, although the icing will have half chocolate and half vanilla flavoring. Altogether, the cookie should be soft when you bite into it.
One tip I want to share with you in order to make the best black and white cookie recipe is to use the right kind of flour. You might think that cake flour would be ideal, since these are supposed to be cakey cookies. However, all-purpose flour is perfect and makes them come out just right every time.
Easy Black and White Cookie Recipe
I’m going to share with you a fairly simple authentic black and white cookie recipe. There are a number of variations on this that you can use and that you will find online, like the black and white cookie recipe Martha Stewart recommends. I figured the simplest recipe would be a good way to start this off, because these cookies can already seem kind of intimidating to begin with. I think keeping the recipe as simple as possible at first is a good way to introduce people to the idea of making the black and white cookie.
Ingredients for white cookies
- 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 10 tablespoons of softened butter (not melted)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of sour cream
Directions for making white cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper to keep the cookies from sticking. Alternatively, you could increase the baking sheets or use silicone baking mats.
- Mix together most of your dry ingredients- flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Use a whisk to combine by hand.
- Next, mix together the butter and sugar by beating them in a bowl with a stand mixer or handheld mixer. Use the paddle attachment. They should cream in about 2 minutes. Add your vanilla extract and egg and continue to beat for another minute. Once that is done, scrape the sides of the bowl down using a spatula and then mix for another minute until everything is combined.
- Add in the rest of the dry ingredients, reducing the mixer speed to low. Continue to beat all your ingredients until you see no flour left in the bowl and the batter should be very thick.
- Once your cookie batter is mixed, grease a 1/4 cup measuring cup will use that to scoop out mounds of dough from the batter. Drop them onto your baking sheets with about four inches between each one on every side.
- Bake the cookies for 16 minutes. You know they are done when they are lightly brown on the edges. Let them cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then move them to a wire rack cool completely.
- After the cookies have cooled, you may ice them.
Making the Icing
- 7 tablespoons of milk
- 5 1/2 cups of confectioner sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
Directions for making the icing
1. Use a whisk to mix together 6 tablespoons of milk, vanilla extract, corn syrup, confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Take 1 cup and move it to a separate bowl and then add a tablespoon of milk to that as well as the cocoa powder. Use a whisk to combine.
2. Spread vanilla icing onto 1/2 of each cookie on the flat side. Refrigerate your ice cookies for 15 minutes to keep the icing from blending into one another going to the other side. Once the cookies come out of the fridge, spread your chocolate icing on the other side. Allow the icing to set for about an hour before you serve it.
The cookies can keep 4 about two days at room temperature. If you want them to last longer, place in a new refrigerator and they should stay good for about a week. If storing at room temperature, be sure to put them in an airtight container.
Black and White Cookie Recipe Using Cake Mix
A simple way to make these cookies with fewer ingredients for you to combine would be to make the black and white cookies with cake mix. You can use an 18-ounce package of white cake mix, as well as two eggs, 2/3 cups of vegetable oil, and then purchase chocolate and Vanilla frosting separately. This minimizes how much you have to mix and how many ingredients you have to buy. Then, just make the recipe according to the directions above, considering some of your ingredients are already combined. Still, be sure to refrigerate one side of the iced cookies before you add icing on the other side. This is one of the best black and white cookie recipe options for people who want a quick and easy way to make these cookies.
If you want to make Zabar’s black and white cookie recipe, you can add a little bit of lemon extract to the recipe. They also cut the flour in half and use cake flour for the other half for their recipe. Other than that, the recipe is pretty much the same as what I’ve given you about.
If you want to make black and white cookie recipe Cook’s Country way, you can do that with only minor adjustments. Use the icing recipe from earlier, but add in some corn syrup so that the icing will rest on the cookies and not sink into them. This makes for a thicker icing that is almost like a shell on your cookie.
For a mini black and white cookie recipe, you can simply use a smaller greased measuring cup. You don’t have to give your cookies as much space on the pan, since you’re making mini cookies, so you can fit more of them on a single pan.