Peeling your potatoes before baking them changes up the texture considerably. Some people don’t care for the tough, fibrous skin, while others like it just fine and think it adds a little extra something to their potato dishes.
When baking potatoes without the skin, you may need to adjust the cook time and prep the potatoes differently so that they come out right. Here is how to bake peeled potatoes using recipes and methods that have worked great for me.
Bake Peeled Potatoes
When baking peeled potatoes, you can use any kind of potato you like- Yukon, red, russet, white, or whatever else you have on hand.
The easiest way to peel them is to scrub them clean under running water (using your kitchen scrub pad), and then use a vegetable or potato peeler to work your way from the top to the bottom.
Once the potatoes are peeled, you may want to give them a quick rinse to make sure they look clean, and then you can slice them, dice them, or cut them up however you need for your dish.
The first method I want to share with you for how to bake peeled potatoes in oven uses chopped potatoes.
You can use roughly chopped potatoes, where you cut them into chunks that are approximately the same size and shape. It’s okay if they don’t all look the same, as that helps to give your dish some variety. Here is the recipe:
- 2 pounds of potatoes, chopped into cubes about an inch square
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley (fresh is preferable)
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil or olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it with cooking oil.
- Place the chopped potatoes son to the tray in one layer. Drizzle your oil over them and sprinkle on black pepper, salt, and garlic. Toss the potatoes to ensure they are seasoned well all over.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for 45-50 minutes. They should be golden brown and crispy when finished.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and garnish with parsley.
How to Bake Peeled Potatoes in Microwave
You can cook them in the microwave as well, though it isn’t my preferred method. It’s much faster than using the oven, though, so it’ll work in a pinch.
1. Put the potatoes into a dish that’s safe to use in the microwave and large enough to accommodate them.
2. Season the potatoes pieces with sage, parsley, or chives, along with melted butter.
3. Microwave the potatoes on high for 10 minutes, turning them at the halfway point.
4. If you would like to add some shredded cheese to them, you can then allow them to rest for five minutes, sprinkle on the cheese and put them back in for 4-6 minutes on high. Otherwise, just add another 4-6 minutes on high.
5. Season with salt and serve.
How to Bake Peeled Potato Skins
When you peel your potatoes, you don’t have to discard the skins. You can make tasty dish from them known as potato skin chips. Here’s how.
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
3. Toss the potato skins in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then place them onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt.
4. Bake the potato skins for 15-20 minutes and be prepared to take them out if they start turning dark brown. Once they are crispy and somewhat browned, you can take them out of the oven and serve.
How to Bake Peeled Sweet Potatoes Fast
You can bake sweet potatoes or white potatoes pretty much the same way. If you want to bake your potatoes fast, there are a few things you need to do. First, peel the skins, as they cook quicker without those. Then, cut them into small pieces- the smaller the pieces the shorter the cooking time.
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
3. Peel your sweet potatoes and slice them into thin rounds (about ½ inch to 1 inch thick).
4. Cut the potato rounds into strips, making about three strips from each round. Then, chop them into small squares.
5. Put your sweet potatoes chunks on the baking sheet and drizzle on some cooking oil and toss.
6. Bake the sweet potatoes for 20-25 minutes.
You know they are done cooking when you can easily pierce them with a fork.
How Long to Bake Peeled Sweet Potatoes?
How long your peeled sweet potatoes will need to cook will depend on how small you cut them and what temperature you use to bake them at. The higher the temperature, the shorter the cooking time, and the smaller the pieces, the shorter the cooking time as well. The method I gave you up above cooks them really fast, and you probably won’t find a quicker way.
You could extend the cooking time much longer if you wanted to help your sweet potatoes caramelize and if you are cooking larger chunks of potatoes. Cooking them at 425 degrees Fahrenheit, you can place the chopped sweet potatoes into the oven for 30 minutes in foil and then take them out of the foil and cook them for another 15-20 minutes. Then, flip them over and cook for another 10 minutes to help them finish cooking thoroughly
How to Keep Peeled Potatoes from Turning Brown
If you peel your potatoes and store them before you use them in a recipe, you may notice they turn brown or gray after a while. This is because they are oxidizing, and to prevent that, you can simply submerge them in a container of water. You can then store them in the fridge like this for a whole day and save yourself some work when you are ready to cook with them.